Friday, February 8, 2013

Beetroot Chutney | Chutney for Chapathi

When I was going through my posts I realized that I had not posted the Beetroot chutney until now. This is one of the staple dishes in my home and features atleast once a month when I make Chapathis. See, that is the case with certain dishes. We make them so often that we do not even think of clicking or sharing. This time I planned to click and post.
Ingredients:
Recipe Source: Aunty
Beetroot - 1 medium sized - grated
Grated Coconut - 1/4 cup
Shallots / Pearl onions - 5
Urad dhal - 1 tsp
Chana dhal - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - a few
Green Chilli - 1 or 2
Tamarind - a small piece (about size of half a blueberry)
Oil - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
For Tempering:
Oil - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Urad dhal - 1/2 tsp
Method:
Heat 1/2 tsp of oil in a pan and roast the urad dhal and chana dhal until they are light brown. Remove and set aside. Heat the remaining oil and add the green chilli and onions and saute until the onions are almost cooked. Add the curry leaves and the grated beetroot and fry until the beetroot is cooked through. Remove from heat and add the grated coconut and set aside to cool. Blend/Grind the beetroot mixture and dhal mixture until smooth. Add salt to taste and pulse for a couple of times. Heat oil for tempering and add the mustard seeds and urad dhal. When the mustard seeds pop, pour the tadka over the chutney and serve. This chutney is a great combo for chapathis or hot phulkas.
I am sending this to Pari's Only-Vegan event hosted by PJ this month.
[only%2520vegan%255B3%255D.jpg]


9 comments:

  1. I do this same way more for idli dosa ... Love the color

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice combo for chapati's.. Love the color of chutney..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too make this chutney..but lazy to make the tempering though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gr8! chutney. This is new to me. I use beetroot in curry, halwa and ofcourse in salads Will surely try this out. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks too yummm!!! I am going to make this chutney with the beets we bought this time..Super like..!!Btw, shall post your request for the rottis real soon L:) Hope you are doing good :)
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the color of the chutney, looks perfect with chapathi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love its color.. have never tried this..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Krithi, loved the whole idea of using beetroot for chutney- colorful and unique :)

    ReplyDelete

Do leave your valuable comments here!
I appreciate any critical comment which helps improve my posts, although inappropriate and rude comments will not be published.